Tuesday 23 October 2012

Decorating a Dorm



        I’ve spent the majority of my college years in a single room – a dorm room. I like living in Residence at my school because it’s just across the parking lot, so I never have to go very far or long to get to class, and it has essentially everything I need within in reach. As much as I like exploring, when I’m at school I’m very busy pretty much all the time so being able to get things quickly and easily is very important.
           
           But living in a dorm can come with drawbacks too. First thing’s the lack of room: I get my own room as well as a kitchenette and a bathroom, so I’m actually lucky. I’ve had friends who’ve had much less. My parent’s house is also far away, which means that when I come to school every year I can’t pack much, only the necessities. My first year, I spent the entire summer worrying about what to bring, what I would need and what would take up too much room and just be useless. Now that I’ve had some experience, I think I finally got it right, and found that balance between what I need and what makes the place I have to live in for 8 months feel like home.
          
            So, here’s a mini tour of my dorm!

 
          We’ll start with the wardrobe side of my room. Storage space is very limited in dorms, you most likely won’t get shelves or dressers, and there probably won’t be much room to put any extra furniture. I get two drawers with my desk, which I use to put things like sweaters in, big things that take up a lot of room. For little things like socks I have these storage cubes. Though I kind of wish I had pink ones now to match my colour scheme… If you’re that kind of person, picking a colour scheme or ‘theme’ for your dorm can help a lot in making things look put together. I obviously like pink. Even my luggage matches – unintentional, I swear! I use my luggage as extra storage space and impromptu furniture.

As you can see, I was given a TV with my dorm, which is very nice but I’m not a TV person, so I had my dad get it off my desk and out of the way for me. I also have this fuzzy rug that I love. Very nice in those cold mornings rolling out of bed and going to class. I could write a whole post on my wardrobe alone, and I probably will, so I’ll leave the details of that for some other time.


Let’s talk about my bed. Blankets and sheets and stuff can be expensive, but it’s worth it to buy yourself some nice stuff when you go to school. Leave the old worn blankie you’ve used forever at home. And always buy an extra set of sheets and pillowcases, and an extra warm blanket. I have one my grandma knitted for me, but it’s not in this picture because it’s not cold enough for it yet. My sheets and pillow cases are actually an amalgam of different sets I’ve owned over the years. Oh and I have a fuzzy blanket to match my rug. I never bring stuffed animals, so I have to make up for the fuzziness somehow. I don’t recommend bringing stuffed animals or figures or anything either, but I know not everyone has the willpower I do…

  
Here’s the desk side of my room. The desk came with my room, as did the lamp and the phone on the left corner. Being a writer and a drawer, I need a lot of desk space as well as places to put my materials and whatnot. I’ve tried to divide my desk up into two sections, one for personal stuff and one for work stuff, with open space in the middle for my computer and for my note/sketchbooks.

If you’re lucky enough to get a lamp from your dorm, it will not be enough. At least not for reading, writing, or studying. Get another desk lamp that gives really good light. And get some organizational things, because if you’re like me, you’ll try to organize on your own and in a week everything will be in a giant pile. Right now, all my school stuff is in the middle, and all my comics stuff is in the two standee things on the sides. I also brought some books from home – every year I try not to because my teachers usually give me enough to read, but this year I didn’t have any fiction courses so I brought my own. And there are some pictures of my family.

On the other side is the personal side of my desk. That’s my jewellery box, makeup bag, and my hair stuff. Underneath my desk I keep my printer and my art kit, with all my drawing materials and extra notebooks. There’s my Zombies calendar above them – let’s see what else is on my walls.

   Above my desk is my “inspiration board.” Over course every wall is an inspiration board to me, but since I do all my writing and drawing at my desk, these are all images relating to that. As you can see, I’m working on something relating to churches. And I’m not working on anything relating to Nirvana. I also have a flyer I found on the ground for a show featuring a band I like (but didn’t get to go to, sadly,) and my autographed Adventure Time poster. The cross-shaped bunch of pics is on the wall at the end of my bed. I have another fashion related inspiration board beside my closet, featuring some of my style icons, so I always have ideas for what to wear. And finally, above my bed, I have glow in the dark stars I got at the dollar store. I love them so much.


I didn’t take any pictures of the kitchen or the bathroom because they’re both pretty boring; I mostly just try to keep my stuff out of the way instead of making it look “stylish,” hahaha. But, I will show you my fancy mug collection. I believe everyone should have a huge collection of drinking apparatuses. This is mine so far – and you can tell I took it after doing the dishes because my Toxic Boy mug is on the shelf – in the other pics I was drinking tea out of it! My grandma gave me the pink one on the right, it has cats all over it and it was my favourite one to drink out of when I was little. And in front are my dinosaur salt and pepper shakers.

Well, that’s the tour! Now I can go back to living in the mess this place usually looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment