Wednesday 31 October 2012

I Remember Halloween





Today is my favourite holiday ever! Well, ok, maybe it’s not really a holiday, but it should be! I’ve loved Halloween since I was a little kid. I love dressing up and planning my costume, staying up late and of course all that candy. As I grew up I came to love the spooky side, as I got over my fears and eventually became obsessed with horror movies and all things scary and weird. Every day is a little Halloween for me, but that doesn’t make the real day any less special.

Today I’m in college, and I don’t get to make as big a deal of Halloween as I wish I could. But I still always manage to dress up and show off my costume somehow, even if it’s just to go to grocery store. Which is exactly what I did!



This year I went as Alice from Alice in Wonderland. I've actually tried going as this twice before, the first time wasn't very successful because it was a long time ago, Alice wasn't very popular so finding a good dress or costume wasn't easy. The second time I ended up changing it at the last minute. Now there seems to be Alice costumes everywhere! But being a busy student I had to assemble mine from stuff I already had lying around. Despite that I think I did a pretty good job! This is definitely one of the classiest costumes I've ever worn.



Outfit Breakdown:
Boots - Ardene
Tights - Costume store I think, I've had them for years
Skirt - Wal-mart
"Apron" (It's a slip that I tucked into the front of my skirt. Best I could do!) - Thrifted
Shirt - Suzy Shier
Vest - Sirens
Pocket Watch Necklace - Icing
You can't see my earrings, but one was shaped like a teacup and the other like a rose - Claire's

I had lots of work to do during the day, but I ended the night with a special Halloween dinner and a scary movie. I watched Cabin in the Woods, and holy crap, AMAZING! I think I have another new favourite movie. The plot is that five friends go to a mysterious cabin in the woods, and scary stuff starts happening… AND THAT’S ALL I CAN TELL YOU. If I told you any more it would ruin it. Take my word that it is not what you are expecting.



And for dinner - Pumpkin pancakes and some bacon. I've never made pumpkin pancakes before, and I pretty much had to eyeball all the measurements, since pancake recipes always get you to make them for like eight people. They ended up being really good! 


Ingredients:
Pancake mix (yeah, I cheated a bit.) Water, Canned pumpkin, Ground cinnamon, Ground ginger, Cooking spray, Maple syrup, Butter, or whatever you like to top your flapjacks with.

Directions:
Make your pancake mix as usual, and add your cinnamon, ginger, and the pumpkin. Mix it all together, but not too much as this mixture will be lumpy and thick. Spray down your frying pan/griddle, and cook them a little longer than you would normal pancakes. They'll come out really thick, and even when they're cooked they might be a little mushy in the middle. As long they're not cold or like, liquid, you should be okay.


And finally, to end a good Halloween you need good Halloween music. And I don’t mean that orange tape of spooky noises you’ve got lying around. I’m lucky that most of my favourite bands are pretty Halloween-y all year round, and some of my favourite songs are perfect Halloween songs. Every year I make a big playlist of all my spooky songs, but I chose my personal favourites to make this mixtape. I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment