Thursday 3 January 2013

2012 - 2013: Making Good Art, and Making Life an Adventure




For me, 2012 was a year of keeping steady. In 2011 I started several projects, including my Professional Writing program, so 2012 was all about finishing those projects and passing my first year. I’m happy to say I’ve accomplished many of my goals, and even exceeded my own expectations. 

Looking back on it I’m more than happy with what I’ve done so far, but 2013 is going to be all about pushing it even further, and taking more risks. Last year I was so focused on just making sure I could finish things that I avoided too much excitement with my projects. This year I’m going to make more, make different things, and do things with them I’ve always been afraid to do.

Source
 
I didn’t make a list of goals or resolutions last year, but I think if I could sum up my direction last year, it would be “Make Good Art.” That’s a quote from a commencement address from one of my favourite authors and personal heroes, Neil Gaiman. You can read the whole thing here. Last year, I wanted to make as much and be as proud of it as possible, and I think I accomplished that. Ultimately, I think the best art anyone can make is something they can be proud of.

So here’s a quick recap of what I did in 2012:


  • - I finished my first year of Professional Writing with straight A’s both semesters, and finished the first half of my second year. 
  • - Finished my first graphic novel.
  • - Finished the second draft of my novel.
  • - Completed my Spineonline blog.
  • - Wrote scripts for two more graphic novels.
  • - Started this blog.
  • - Went to some awesome parties (very important)
  • - Made good stuff for my portfolio.


In 2012, I made:

  • -          3 comics
  • -          7 scripts
  • -          8 short stories
  • -          2 poems
  • -          5 essays
  • -          3 interviews
  • -          1 letter to the editor
  • -          1 (second draft) novel


This year, I’ll be finishing my second year of Professional Writing and finally graduating from college. After that comes the daunting task of getting a job and finding a new place to live. This is going to be a huge change for my life, but it’s an adventure I’m ready to go on! This year, I want everything to be an adventure. I want to do more than just make more stuff, I want to make stuff I’ve always been afraid to make, and put it out there in ways I never have before.

So to sum up my direction for this year: It’s Adventure Time.

With Leah P!


My goals for 2013:

  • -          Graduate
  • -          Finish the final touches on my novel
  • -          Finish two more graphic novels, completing the first arc of my comic
  • -          Send out at least 1 short story to a literary magazine
  • -          Find a place to live outside my home town
  • -          Get a job and make some money

In 2012, I want to make:

  • -          10 short stories
  • -          5 poems
  • -          5 comics (2 graphic novels in all)
  • -          1 completed novel


In addition to that, I’m going to do more interviews, essays, and make more cool posts for this blog. But every time I make something, I’m going to make sure it excites me, that I’m not just playing it safe, and that every day I’m making life a new adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment